1. Transparency Regarding the Use of Your Personal Data
As part of our commitment to protecting your privacy, this statement is designed to provide you with information regarding how the University of California, Berkeley (UCB) collects and processes the information you share when you use our websites and each of their associated domains (together, the “sites”), and when you utilize services associated with UCB sites. This statement is applicable to individuals using UCB sites and services who are located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), which includes European Union member states as well as Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway.
2. Your Personal Data We Use
Information you provide directly to UCB: In certain situations, UCB sites may collect personal information about you called Personal Data. Your Personal Data is collected when you register or fill in a form on UCB sites. This includes information you provide when you create an account, register on a UCB site or upload information to a UCB site. Depending upon the specific UCB site and/or service that you use, the information you give us may include your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, internet protocol address and/or other information you provide to us well as any information about you that is associated with or linked to, or could be linked to, any of the foregoing data.
To learn more about the types of Personal Data that a particular UCB site or service processes about you, refer to the UCB site administrator or contact the UCB Privacy Office.
Information from Other Sources: UCB sites may also obtain information about you from other sources and combine that information with information collected from you directly. For example, a UCB site may collect information about you when you post content to a web page or participate in a UCB Service. To learn more about the types of Personal Data that a particular UCB site obtains from other sources, refer to the UCB site administrator or contact the UCB Privacy Office.
3. How We Use Your Personal Data and the Lawful Basis for Such Processing
Depending on the specific UCB site you visit and/or your relationship with UCB, UCB sites and their affiliated UCB programs or units may use your Personal Data where necessary in order to perform their obligations under a contract with you, or request you have made to use or participate in a UCB Service; where required by law, and/or where necessary for the legitimate interests of UCB, provided that there is no overriding impact on your interests or rights. To learn more about how a particular UCB site, program or unit uses your Personal Data, contact the site or program administrator or the UCB Privacy Office.
In certain instances, UCB may be required to obtain your consent to collect and process your Personal Data for a specific purpose. This depends on the specific category of data collected and the intended use of the data. In these instances, the UCB site or affiliated program will inform you of the specific category of Personal Data that will be collected and the intended purpose of the collection, and will request that you affirmatively indicate that you consent to the intended collection of your Personal Data for that purpose, prior to collecting the data.
In these instances, if you do not consent to the collection and intended processing purpose, UCB will refrain from collecting and processing your Personal Data.
4. Recipients of Your Personal Data
Depending upon your participation in the services affiliated with UCB sites, the sites may share your Personal Data with third parties. These third parties may include UCB’s service providers, who may need access to Personal Data in order to provide products and services on UCB’s behalf; UCB’s partners and collaborators in order to support UCB’s public service, education and research missions; or public, regulatory and governmental authorities that regulate or have jurisdiction over UCB.
If your Personal Data is shared with a third party, UCB will require that the third party use appropriate measures to protect the confidentiality and security of your Personal Data.
UCB may also need to share your Personal Data as required to respond to lawful requests and legal processes; to protect our rights and property and those of our agents, customers and others, including to enforce our agreements and policies; and in an emergency, to protect UCB and the safety of our students, faculty and staff or any third party.
To learn more about the recipients of your Personal Data from a particular UCB site/service, contact the site administrator for the affiliated UCB site/service or the UCB Privacy Office.
UCB takes appropriate physical, administrative and technical measures to protect Personal Data that are consistent with applicable privacy and data security laws and regulations. For more information about how UCB protects data, refer to the UCB Information Security Office.
6. Retaining and Deleting Your Personal Data
UCB will only retain your Personal Data for the duration necessary for the data collection purposes identified above, unless there is a legal requirement to maintain it for a longer period.
7. International Transfer of Your Personal Data
In order to fulfill the intended processing purposes described above, your Personal Data will be transferred outside of the European Economic Area (EEA), specifically to the United States, which does not protect Personal Data in the same way that it is protected in the EEA. UCB will undertake appropriate measures to ensure adequate protection of Personal Data, including utilizing appropriate physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect Personal Data, as well as executing standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission or a supervisory authority under GDPR, or obtaining your consent, where appropriate.
8. Your Rights
As required by the General Data Protection Regulation and applicable EEA member state law, if you are located in the European Economic Area, you have a right to:
- Access your Personal Data, as well as information relating to the recipients of your Personal Data, the purposes of processing your Personal Data, the duration for which the Personal Data will be stored, and the source of Personal Data that has not been provided by you;
- Rectify or correct inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data concerning you, taking into account the purposes of the processing, and the right to have incomplete Personal Data completed;
- Move your Personal Data to another controller or processor. UCB will facilitate the lawful transfer of your data to the extent possible;
- Have your Personal Data erased in certain circumstances;
- Restrict the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances;
- Object to the processing of Personal Data in certain circumstances;
- Withdraw your consent to the processing of your Personal Data, should UCB ask for your consent for the processing of your Personal Data. The withdrawal does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your consent before its withdrawal.
- Know whether your Personal Data is being used for automated decision-making, including profiling. In those cases, UCB will give you meaningful information about the logic involved, the significance and the envisaged consequences of such processing for your data, and the right to request human intervention; and
- Lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
UCB may be obligated to retain your Personal Data as required by U.S. federal or state law.
If you wish to exercise your rights, you can contact the UCB Privacy Office.
9. Questions and Complaints
If you have questions or complaints about UCB’s treatment of your Personal Data, or about UCB’s privacy practices more generally, please feel free to contact the UCB Berkeley Privacy Office: firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 561-4079.